And (I think/guess) the Oscar goes to…
Yes I admit it – I do enjoy watching the Oscars. In a world where bad television and bad music wins award I think the Oscars are one of the last places where actual great work or great art is appreciated and recognized. Sure, sometimes it seems like they go out of their way to nominate a movie nobody’s ever heard of – but it’s probably because it’s a great movie or has a great performance in it – and we SHOULD know about it.
Now I’m not lover of great art in cinema. I did love Inception and The Social Network. I did tear up at Toy Story 3.
But I also loved MacGruber. I teared up there too, but only from laughing so hard.
Even though Will Forte’s masterpiece is being ignored by the Academy, I will be tuning in tonight to see who will take home the awards. I realize a lot of these award shows are almost an excuse for these actors to congratulate themselves, but I think Academy Awards are different because winning one of these can change a little known (or underrated) actor’s life forever.
Without Jerry Maguire, they could have never printed “Academy Award Winner Cuba Gooding Jr.” on the DVD box for Daddy Day Camp – and who knows where that masterpiece would be without it!
Okay, I know the suspense is killing you – so without further ado, my Oscar picks for 2011 are:
- Best Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo in “The Fighter”
- Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale in “The Fighter”
- Best Actress: Natalie Portman in “Black Swan”
- Best Actor: Colin Firth in “The King’s Speech”
- Best Director: David Fincher, “The Social Network”
- Best Documentary Feature: “Exit Through the Gift Shop”
- Best Animated Picture: “Toy Story 3”
- Best Picture: “The Social Network”